Monday, February 16, 2009

Stamps!

The price for a first-class mail stamp will increase 2 cents to 44 cents, starting May 11.

The Postal Service said the price increase was necessary because of rising production costs. Under law, the price of stamps is not allowed to rise faster than the U.S. consumer price index, which measures inflation.

According to a written release, the increase will cost the typical family about $3 a year.

I can remember when we paid 2¢ for a stamp. Yes, I was just a little girl! I think that the Post Office is feeling the pinch because of on-line payments and emails and even catalogs. I don't mail much except I send post cards with the Post Crossing that I belong to. I wonder if the price will go up for that too. It's 94¢ for a stamp to go overseas now! And last week two of my post cards were destroyed by the post office. Hmmmm. Didn't send me the money back! Anyway, I guess we'll just have to grin and pay for the increase. I wonder what the price will be for a stamp when I get old... That's correct! I'm not old yet! Older but not old. Funny that the correct sequence of old is 'old, older, oldest. But, with most of us seniors, the older comes first! I don't consider myself OLD. I'm just OLDER.

No comments: