Sunday, June 7, 2009

French Holly Hocks

I have this beautiful plant growing in my back yard. It's showing at the top of my blog. I planted it two years ago but didn't remember what it was. I showed a picture to people and got a lot of good guesses. I looked on line. I went to all of the places that I've boughten plants. The first place is out of business. I was surprised because I think they've been in business for years. The only place that I didn't go was the McKinney flea market. They won't be open until next weekend. I finally got my answer. One of the ladies that works at Calloways identified it. They don't sell it there but she had the plant in her yard one time. When she told me that it was a hollyhock, I explained that it can't be. I've had hollyhocks in our yard at home in Grand Rapids when I was a kid. They grew wild in the alley across the street from us. We used to pick the flowers and make dolls out of them. No way could you make a doll out of the little flowers on my plant. So the lady looked it up in a book and there it was, under Hollyhocks! It's an 'old' hollyhock that they don't sell anymore. I looked it up on the internet and it says that it's a great plant for an old fashioned garden. That's the kind of garden I want! So I got a start! There is no smell to the flower but it is just beautiful. I hope it returns next year and I'm going to collect the seeds from it, just in case! Next year I plan to have more of the 'old' French Hollyhock plants.

No comments: